Membership in Sigdalslag is available for any person who was born in Eggedal, Krødsherad, or Sigdal, Norway; any person having ancestry from these areas of Norway; spouses or family members of such a person; or anyone who has a specific interest in the activities of Sigdalslag. Membership is by calendar years and current dues for U.S. and Canadian citizens are $10 US for one year or $25 US for three years. For citizens of other countries the dues are the same but only the digital copy of the Sigdalslag Saga newsletter is available. A spouse of any member is automatically a member.
The tangible benefit of membership is the newsletter Sigdalslag Saga (three issues per year, typically 10 pages), presenting news of coming events and articles of interest. The intangible benefit is the knowledge that you are helping an organization that maintains a substantial genealogical library and maintains ties to the home areas in Norway. Consider also giving a gift membership.
|As an alternative to joining online –
U.S. citizens may also join by printing and filling out this Membership Application, writing a check to “Sigdalslag”, and mailing both to:
Sigdalslag Vice President – Membership
102 W Calle de Caballos
Tempe, AZ 85284
Canadian citizens who prefer to mail an application, please e-mail Garth Ulrich for payment information.
Citizens of other countries who prefer to mail an application, please write to Lila Harp at the above address.
Why Join Sigdalslag?
- The annual “family” gathering is warm and welcoming. Our members are eager to share their knowledge of the Sigdal area and the experiences of the American immigrants.
- Explore your background by studying Sigdal costumes, folklore, social customs, people, and history. Learn about the rich heritage we have in the literature and art that was produced in Sigdal.
- Many of our members are avid genealogists; you will receive much help with your search for your family roots in Sigdal.
- The Sigdalslag library contains books and manuscripts that describe both the area in Norway and the immigrants in America.
- The editor of our newsletter, Sigdalslag Saga, works hard to make the paper interesting and informative.
- The Sigdalslag will help you locate the places in Norway where your ancestors lived. We will also make every effort to help you find your relatives in Norway.