Sigdalslag maintains a substantial genealogical library. Most of the materials are available at the annual stevne. Our genealogist, Garth Ulrich, is very knowledgeable and helpful to those seeking information about their family ties to Sigdal, Eggedal and Krødsherad.
We have begun a collection of obituaries of emigrants from Sigdal, Eggedal and Krødsherad. WE NEED YOUR HELP.
If you have the obituary of your ancestor(s) who emigrated from Sigdal, Eggedal or Krødsherad, please submit it via e-mail attachment or regular post. If you can scan the obituary digitally, please attach the scanned image to an e-mail addressed to email@example.com. Or, you may send a print or photocopy version of the obituary to our genealogist:
Garth Ulrich 3099 Dunn Drive Prince Albert, SK S6V 6Y6 CANADA
Please include source information (i.e. name and date of publication).
This is an ongoing project to help our genealogist gather information about the families of those who emigrated from Sigdal, Eggedal and Krødsherad. If you have not already done so, please take a few minutes to complete this survey.
- List of Materials in the Sigdalslag Library
- Emigrant List – the current list of some 5000 people who emigrated from SIGDAL, EGGEDAL and KRØDSHERAD to America between 1839 and 1920. Sources include bygdebøker, utflyt lists, Oslo police records, ship records, descendants reports, local histories in USA and Canada, Norwegian-American newspapers, and files at the Norwegian-American Historical Association. (Sorry, this list is FOR MEMBERS ONLY. Members will need to log in to get to this page.)
- 1914 Sigdalslag Members – this is in a spreadsheet format (xls) so you may sort the columns as you wish.
- List of Farms Names in Sigdal and Eggedal From Sigdal og Eggedal, Bind II og III, Gard og Slekt by Andreas Mørch.
- List of Farms Names in Krødsherad From Krødsherad Gard og Slekt, Bind I by Andreas Mørch.
- Church record books from Sigdal, Eggedal and Krødsherad- church records
- Sigdal, Eggedal Bygdebok –Bygdebok
- Name Index of The 2005 Sigdalslag Book – this is a list of all the names found in the book
- Name Index of the 3 translated Sigdalslag Books – a spreadsheet (xls) of names (You might find your ancestors listed here!!) These books were recently translated from the original Norwegian and are available for purchase HERE.
- If you have a written history (local, church, family) or other materials to add to the library please e-mail our Genealogist by clicking HERE.
- Norwegian Farm Name Meanings – translation from Norsk to English of common words used in Norwegian farm names.
Genealogy Internet Links
- Digitalarkivet – National Archives of Norway – this site includes Census Data, Emigration Lists, Military Rolls, Tax Lists, Church Registers and much more.
- 1910 Norway Census
- Sigdal and Krødsherad Church Records
- Sigdal 1801 Census
- Sigdal 1865 Census
- Sigdal 1900 Census
- Døde og begravde i Sigdal 1722-1772 (Digitalarkivet)
- Døde og begravde i Sigdal 1778-1792 (Digitalarkivet)
- Døde og begravde i Sigdal 1793-1811 (Digitalarkivet)
- Døde og begravde i Sigdal 1812-1815 (Digitalarkivet)
- Kirkebøkene for Sigdal i det nye Digitalarkivet
- Ancestors from Norway
- Census site
- Family Search – sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints
- Cemetery search (incomplete)
- Veikaaker Cemetery in Krødsherad
- Modum Cemeteries
- Cyndi’s List of genealogy sites
- Census Links
- Kvasir – a search engine in Norway
- Dis-Norge (på Norsk)
- DIS-Buskerud (på Norsk)
- Norway List Web Site
- Norway Genealogy (WorldGenWeb)
- Norway Heritage (Ships Lists)
- Treasure Maps Genealogy – how to do genealogy research on your computer (in your pajamas)
DNA testing guide The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Genealogy
- Compare DNA tests Compare 5 different testing companies
Genealogy 101 – basic information for the genealogy beginner – this is a PDF version of a PowerPoint presentation at the 2011 7-Lag Stevne by Rod Pletan.
25 sites 25 genealogy sites -“Definitive Guide”
More genealogical information will be presented here from time to time ….. so check here periodically.