Sigdalslag Centennial Scholarship Program
Approved by the Sigdalslag Executive Board, January 14, 2012.
Purpose: The purpose of this program is to financially support individuals who undertake study or work that furthers the mission of Sigdalslag as expressed in Article II of the Bylaws. In part, this article states that the purpose of Sigdalslag is:
- To maintain and enhance fellowship among the American descendants of the emigrants from the Eggedal, Krødsherad, and Sigdal areas of Norway and to facilitate a bond between the American descendants and their relatives still living in these areas in Norway.
- To aid in the preservation of Norwegian and Norwegian-American history, culture and heritage for coming generations by collecting and preparing historical information and data relative to immigration and settlement and to encourage research and writing of family, immigration and settlement histories.
- To develop and maintain a library of resources for genealogical research and to provide personal assistance for this endeavor.
- To maintain communication and develop working relationships between the members of Sigdalslag and other related organizations with Norwegian heritage.
Governance: The elected officers of Sigdalslag are responsible for governing all aspects of this program. However, to assist in this responsibility, the elected officers of Sigdalslag shall appoint a manager for the program, with status and term of service equivalent to the newsletter editor, genealogist, and webmaster. The manager shall solicit, collect and collate applications for financial support, and ensure that the eligibility criteria are met. However, the selection shall be made by the elected officers.
The Fund: The monies that underwrite this program shall be kept as a separate and distinct line in Sigdalslag’s financial report. From its initial value of $6,000, Sigdalslag’s Board of Directors shall make reasonable efforts to increase the fund balance by at least 10% each year, principally by soliciting donations directed to the Fund. Any interest earned from the fund shall be credited to the fund.
Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, applicants must be a current Sigdalslag member who has been a member for at least two previousyears, or the son, daughter, grandson or granddaughter of such a person.
Grant Amounts: The annual amount dispersed will be up to, but not exceeding 5% of the principal, except that if less than 5% is awarded one year, it can be carried over to the next. Based on the initial size of the principal, grants will be awarded in $100 -$300 amounts, with a combined annual total of $300 per year. The amount dispersed per year will vary depending on size of the principal on December 31st of the previous year.
Schedule: Applications are due beforeOctober 31 of each year, and the results of the review process will be announced by the following January 31st. Two-thirds of the grant amount will be awarded immediately, and the remaining 1/3 will be awarded at a later time as specified by the elected officers of Sigdalslag.
Application Formalities: Application shall be by letter addressed to the President of Sigdalslag, at the address found in the newsletter Saga. This letter shall state the planned activity that merits financial support, explain how this activity supports Sigdalslag’s mission, and give the starting and ending dates. Example activities that qualify are:
- study of the Norwegian language, either at a language camp or online;
- a visit to Norway that includes at least three days tour of Sigdal and Krødsherad Kommunes;
- study of the history of emigration from Sigdal, Eggedal or Krødsherad;
- a study of contemporary life in Sigdal and Krødsherad Kommunes, as it compares to contemporary life of descendants in the US and Canada;
- lessons in the music that is characteristic of Sigdal, Eggedal and Krødsherad, as guided by the curator of the Sigdal Folkmusiksentrum;
Ideally, the letter should also commit to sharing, by a date certain, the information or insight gained, via an article prepared for the Saga or the web site, by a presentation at a stevne, or other means.